Prescott Real Estate News Blog's purpose is to keep current, past, and potential clients apprised of the real estate market conditions for the Prescott, Arizona Area. National and state news and events will be posted but special emphasis will be placed on Prescott Area and the Yavapai County - Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Dewey and Kirkland/Skull Valley.
-Prescott Real Estate News
Theron Wall Sr. Mortgage Consultant 1575 Plaza West Drive, Suite C Prescott, AZ 86303 Office: 928.445.8730 Fax: 928.445.1065 Cell: 928.533.7473
For the week of August 22, 2011 – Vol. 9, Issue 34
Please note: We all know mortgage rates are extremely low and refinance activity has increased; however, our primary focus is, and always will be, on providing professional, caring service to our partners. Thank you for trusting us to get the job done for you and your clients.
>> Market Update
QUOTE OF THE WEEK..."Every situation properly perceived, becomes an opportunity."--Helen Schucman INFO THAT HITS US WHERE WE LIVE...Ms. Schucman was the Columbia University clinical psychologist who "scripted" A Course in Miracles. Many are hoping for a miracle to send the housing market into recovery, but Ms. Schucman says we only need to look at a situation properly to find an opportunity. A proper look at the housing market shows there's plenty of opportunity, in the form of unbelievable affordability, tremendous values and historic mortgage rates. These opportunities are there for those who take a long view and close their ears to the naysayers, who have been noisy of late.
Plenty of naysaying came after last Thursday's July Existing Homes Sales, down 3.5% to a 4.67 million annual rate. This was puzzling given recent strong Pending Home Sales (homes under contract). The National Association of Realtors said cancelled contracts were at higher levels the past two months, with buyers rattled over the debt debate. YetExisting Home Sales are up 21% over a year ago.And Housing Starts are up 9.8% over a year ago, at 604,000 annually,althoughdipping 1.5% in July.
BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK...When you're striving to innovate, don't be afraid to fail. To innovate, you have to attempt things that haven't been done before, so you very well may fail on the way to creating something great.
>> Review of Last Week
TOUGH DAY AT THE OFFICE...Investors had a hard time making money last week as Wall Street was haunted by two specters--European debt and fears of a U.S. recession. French and German leaders met, but came up with no definitive solution to European banking problems, while Eurozone GDP was up just 0.2% in Q2. Investors worried about these conditions infecting our shores and sold off stocks, sending market indexes down for the fourth straight week. Pundits opined we may dip back into recession.
Stock market volatility might make people hold back spending, which could cause a recession. Butthe economic data shows clear evidence we're growing, albeit slowly. Industrial production was up better than expected in July, while capacity utilization climbed to 77.5%. Weekly chain store sales have been up 3.5%-4.5%. Rail car traffic is up year-over-year. Steel Production was up for the week. Core CPI consumer inflation is up only 1.8% year-over-year. Corporations are financially in very good shape. None of this shows the economy falling off a cliff.
For the week, the Dow ended down 4.0%, to 10818; the S&P 500 was down 4.7%, to 1124; and the Nasdaq was down 6.6%, to 2342.
Investors' flight to safety was more like a stampede into the bond market, pushing prices up. The FNMA 3.5% bond we're now tracking closed Friday at $101.14, up .09 for the week. Freddie Mac's survey showed national average rates on both fixed and adjustable rate mortgages hitting new record lows.
DID YOU KNOW?...This week's GDP Deflator measures the price changes of newly produced goods during Q2. Economists use it to account for inflation, so GDP can be compared to other time periods in constant dollars.
>> This Week’s Forecast
NEW HOME SALES, Q2 GDP, CONSUMER FEELINGS...Observers expect Tuesday's New Home Sales numbers to hold for July, coming in just a tad below June. Weekly Initial Unemployment Claims should show a sign of hope, with that number forecast a little lower.
Friday, all eyes will be on the second estimate of Q2 GDP. Economists predict slightly less growth than originally expected. Final Michigan Consumer Sentiment for August should be at a subdued level. No surprise there. Finally, everyone should listen to Chairman Bernanke's comments at the Fed's Jackson Hole Conference.
>> The Week’s Economic Indicator Calendar
Weaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and rising loan rates.
Economic Calendar for the Week of Aug 22 – Aug 26
Tu Aug 23
New Home Sales
W Aug 24
Durable Goods Orders
W Aug 24
Th Aug 25
Initial Unemployment Claims
Th Aug 25
Continuing Unemployment Claims
F Aug 26
GDP - 2nd est.
F Aug 26
GDP Deflator - 2nd est.
F Aug 26
Univ. of Michigan Consumer Sentiment-Final
>> Federal Reserve Watch
Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months...As far as the Fed is concerned, rate hikes are off the table through the first half of 2013. Economists are taking this as a given for now. Note: In the lower chart, a 1% probability of change is a 99% certainty the rate will stay the same.
Current Fed Funds Rate: 0%–0.25%
After FOMC meeting on:
Probability of change from current policy:
After FOMC meeting on:
This e-mail is an advertisement for Theron Wall. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment and/or mortgage advice, or a commitment to lend. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee of its accuracy. The material contained in the newsletter is the property of Wallick & Volk Mortgage and cannot be reproduced for any use without prior written consent. It is designed for real estate and other financial professionals only. It is not intended for consumer distribution. The material does not represent the opinion of Wallick & Volk Mortgage. BK 0018295 NMLS #256412